Page Links

Home      About      Reviews      Contact     

10 February 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top 10 Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes to Romances in Books

'Top Ten Tuesday' is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. I love making lists, so this feature fits me perfectly! If you also take part in this feature or have any additions to my lists, please get in touch; I'd love to hear from you!
 
 
Top 10 Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes to Romances in Books

I love the topic of this week's Top Ten Tuesday! My favourite genres are chick lit and women's fiction, but I adore a good romance in any book, no matter the genre. A good romance can really make or break a book for me, and there are definitely certain aspects in love stories that I particularly like or dislike. Check out my 5 likes and dislikes below and be sure to leave a comment with your thoughts!


1. LIKE - What's a book without a good romance?!

Honestly; I don't think I can REALLY enjoy a book if there isn't even a hint of romance in it. There has to be some kind of love story, or at least a hint at one, for me to really fall in love with a story. It's such a crucial element and one that can make or break a tale.




2. LIKE - From enemies to lovers

I'm a real sucker for stories in which two people who used to be enemies or really dislike each other, end up falling in love with one another. I can never get enough of a storyline like this one!



3. LIKE - Chemistry that sparks off the pages

The best love stories are the ones where you can feel the chemistry between the two characters from the start, and you can't quite possibly ignore it.






4. LIKE - Happy endings <3

I don't even want to read books that don't have a happy ending. I'm a hopeless romantic and I need my books to have a happy ending where everyone lives happily ever after <3



5. LIKE - Amazing quotes about love

I love a good quote, and the best love stories always have some great quotes about love in general.






6. DISLIKE - Mismatches

Sometimes when you pick up a novel, you just don't feel the love between the two characters that are supposed to get together. I hate it when this happens, especially if there's someone else in the story you want the male/female character to get together with, but it just doesn't happen.



7. DISLIKE - Three-second love

Boy meets girl; they fall head over heels in love; they get married or split up. And all of that within 50 pages. A good love story needs a build-up, in my opinion, every single time.



8. DISLIKE - Cheating

I guess this is something personal, but I just hate it when characters cheat on one another in books. This can really ruin a good love story, and I hate it when this happens.






9. DISLIKE - Too many steamy scenes

Some steamy scenes, no problem. But only steamy scenes instead of there being more to a romance than just sex? No, thanks.




10. DISLIKE - Unhappy endings

I guess this doesn't come as a big surprise if you know me. I really dislike unhappy endings and just want book characters to live happily ever after!



5 comments:

  1. TOO MUCH SEX IS ANNOYING SOMETIMES I JUST SKIP THAT PART
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list Jody!! We have similar likes and dislikes haha, I couldn't agree more with the memorable quotes and the one's from The Notebook are definitely some of my favourites too! :D

    Here's my TTT if you would like to check it out :) http://emmasbookery.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/top-ten-things-i-likedislike-when-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with #3 and #9! For me, it's all to do with timing - I LOVE a slow burning romance, and when steamy scenes happen too quickly or are too frequent, there isn't much to root for anymore! I remember reading a 500+ page book and there was one small little kiss right at the end, and oh... my... gosh, I was DYING for something to happen the entire time! I wanted to jump into the book and say COME ON!! LOL! The build up makes everything so much more entertaining! Great list :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing quotes about love... I like that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree about the cheating. Sadly it's a reality in the world (so I guess there's the realistic love point-of-view) but it's not something you always want to read about. Sometimes we just want good old fashioned romance!

    Here is mine this week :) http://busybrunettesbookshelf.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-likesdislikes-about.html

    ReplyDelete